I'm genuinely curious (Gaming)

by Spawn ⌂, Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 20:40 (3920 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm currently not an owner of the 360 Kinect, and for those who are I'm curious on how often you use it. I think as long as Kinect is "optional" it's going to be percieved as a gimmick to a living room. An "add on" so to speak. Forcing the kinect WITH the Xb1 is going to bring a whole new light to the living room.

Loads of comments regarding "Well, it's dev's are going to ignore it, just look at the Wii this generation."

I don't know. I'm thinking for the AAA titles that have already established themselves being played with a controlled won't be affected by this push in the slightest. What I'm more intrigued by is indie and XBLA development. I think we're going to see many more titles include Kinect use but not exclusively. You're essentially developing for a split community, unless you're playing something like Kinect sports.

My point is, part of me wants to see a "kinectless" Xb1 SKU at launch. But the other parts wants it to be forced on every console - even after launch. It's a gamble to see whether or not developers take the bait. Now that 100% userbase will have it, what will happen when Kinect is no longer a gimmick? We'll see.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread