Wonder Woman (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 02, 2017, 14:21 (2529 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Guardians of the Galaxy excepted, in my opinion Marvel has been misfiring for quite some time.

I quite like the Marvel movies, but I agree. You definitely have to be bought into the whole ordeal, and they're long past the point where the individual movies hold up in isolation from the entire thing.

For better or worse, they're fully committed to the "serialized" format of Television, or (go figure) comic books. They are building a continuous universe where each instalment informs what comes next. I totally get how some people won't enjoy that direction, but I think they are nailing that direction exceptionally well. Civil War was phenomenal as far as I'm concerned, in no small part because it leveraged the personalities and relationships between characters that have been built up over 8 years.

Personal preferences aside, Marvel continued to succeed because they embrace the source material, while DC's Snyderverse has seemed embarrassed by its source. That, plus the movies have been sloppily made in terms of all the basics of pacing, storytelling, etc.

I'm thrilled to hear such great things about Wonder Woman, though. Can't wait to see it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread