Finally saw it myself. Really liked it! (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 20:22 (2524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie myself. I can't say I was as in love with it as many seem to be (I wouldn't put it anywhere close to The Dark Knight or Logan), but I still think it is great.

Script makes sense.

Mostly... there's some stuff at the end that I found questionable, but I won't get into it here for the sake of avoiding spoilers.

Characters have personalities, goals, chemistry, and are consistent.

Agreed, although I personally see that stuff (along with the script making sense) as a bit of a low bar. Still, it is a bar many movies miss, so it deserves mention.

Phenomenal pacing.

Yep.

Sparse, but meaningful action sequences.

Agreed, plus they did a good job of using action sequences to communicate character development (not in every case, but most of the time). I always appreciate that sort of storytelling; when the action is a gateway to some sort of internal growth, struggle, or discovery.

Good mix of humor and seriousness.

Agreed, and on a related note I very much appreciated how earnest and heartfelt the movie is. Wonder Woman as a character wears her heart on her sleeve, and the entire movie carries that same philosophy.

Music isn't memorable but it works ok.
There are setups and payoffs.
No stupid tie ins / foreshadowing with other movies that don't exist yet.

Agreed on all points.

This is what happens when people know what they are doing. Marvel can finally start learning from DC.

Yes, this is a great movie, but I still think Marvel has at least matched it several times over. The first Avengers movie is phenomenal, as are Winter Soldier and Civil War. A lot of people like to dismiss the Marvel movies as "formulaic", and that is somewhat justifiable, but when you consider how effective that formula is, I can't blame Marvel for maintaining a consistent tone and style throughout most of their movie universe. And that still doesn't take into consideration how well made most Marvel movies are. Even the mediocre ones are at least entertaining... not something that can be said about any of DC's recent films, Wonder Woman excluded.

Thumbs up.

+1

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread