Finally saw it myself. Really liked it! *Major Ending SP* (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 19:08 (2523 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Mostly... there's some stuff at the end that I found questionable, but I won't get into it here for the sake of avoiding spoilers.

"It has hydrogen in it, that makes it flammable!"

………

Yes, because water, made from oxygen and hydrogen, both of which are super flammable, is itself flammable. Not. :-/

Just because hydrogen exists in the molecule says nothing of its flammability. Chemistry fail.

Hah, yeah, but there was a lot more important stuff going on in that last bit didn't really make sense to me. For instance, she starts the movie monologuing about how she stepped away from mankind because of how we are, but the flashback ends on a high note, with her deciding to fight for us despite our shortcomings. Unless the monologue was mentioning the very brief time she took between killing the German baddie and facing Ares, it feels disconnected.

Headcanon-wise, sure, there was WWII among others which were obviously not influenced by Ares, but she doesn't even mention it in the monologue, so it still feels disjointed.

The part I was referring to was Ares' whole motivation regarding Diana herself. He says something about wanting to crush her when he first saw her, but didn't for some reason, then when he saw what she was capable of, he decided he could use her to do things he couldn't do himself, but then he's clearly more powerful than her (at least in terms of the havoc he could wreck against humans), so what could he possibly need her for?

That whole element completely fell apart for me.

What I took from it was that he was the classic villain. It's not that he couldn't destroy humanity, it was that he wanted more than anything to prove to his dad/family (and thus Diana) that Zeus was stupid for creating humanity. By getting Diana to switch to his side it validated himself. Which is why Ares never killed any humans, he just gave them the weapons to do it themselves, thus he was trying to prove that Humanity was destructive and should be destroyed.

And technically I think Ares was more powerful, but it was Ares' undoing that he tried to use destructive power and Diana used it against him (the lightning).

There were many other plot points that bugged me more than that, like blowing up the plane...

I could be mistaken, but what threw me off about Ares was that he specifically said "I couldn't do it myself" or "I couldn't do it without you" or something to that effect. It's totally possible that he was not telling the truth in that moment, but it jumped out at me because to say to someone "I need you to do what I can't do" and then follow that by saying "I'm going to crush you" just doesn't make sense. If he was lying, it wasn't a convincing lie. And if we was telling the truth... well as I said, that just wouldn't make sense.

But it is totally possible that I misheard, or misunderstood one of the lines. I want to go see the movie again, so I'll pay close attention and see if I just missed something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread