Wonder Woman (Off-Topic)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 19:37 (2527 days ago) @ Avateur

Script makes sense.
Characters have personalities, goals, chemistry, and are consistent.
Phenomenal pacing.
Sparse, but meaningful action sequences.
Good mix of humor and seriousness.
Music isn't memorable but it works ok.
There are setups and payoffs.
No stupid tie ins / foreshadowing with other movies that don't exist yet.

Going back as far as I can remember, I pretty much have only liked and been interested in Batman and Wonder Woman (comics or action figures when little). Geoff Johns gave me a love for the Flash and Green Lantern around 2008 or so. For the past two years, I've just been hoping that they could get this Wonder Woman movie right. Just this one. If all the other ones suck, whatever. This post of yours (not to mention all the reviews) makes me very happy.

This is what happens when people know what they are doing. Marvel can finally start learning from DC.

Wat. Man of Steel sucked. Batman vs. Superman was three hours of my life I'll never get back (though Wonder Woman was by far the best part of it, and Ben Affleck actually was one of the best things in that movie considering what he had to work with). I frankly have no desire to see any of DC's upcoming movies EXCEPT for Wonder Woman, and I don't feel that Wonder Woman is going to make me magically want to give a damn about Justice League or anything else.

Now, I get what you're saying as far as how some of Marvel's more recent movies have been cookie-cutter and relatively uninspired, but don't pretend like they have anything to learn from DC at this point.

Also, did you see Guardians 2 yet? The first 30-40 minutes of that movie had me shaking my head and wondering if Marvel had just lost its ability to do the thing well, but then the rest/majority of the movie turns into a very character driven and well done movie. I thought it was fantastic. Marvel's still got it, and Guardians 2 didn't tie into anything else. Also, Ant-Man was a really fun time and pretty well done, too.

I guess taken as a whole, if I go just based on what you wrote about Wonder Woman, I'd throw the following into that list (give or take pacing, because styling can make the pacing different but still make it work quite well for a particular movie):

Iron Man
Avengers
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I could technically throw Civil War (or even Ant-Man or Captain America 1) into there, and I love the hell out of that movie, but it has so many problems as far as plot is concerned and lack of depth or consequence. So I obviously won't. Either way, that list alone tells me that DC either is starting to learn, or it's a blessing that Zack Snyder was relatively nowhere near Wonder Woman and that they put someone who gets it in charge. For all we know, DC's remaining movies are gonna be trash.

As an aside, I'm really excited for Spider-Man now that Marvel's in charge. I haven't enjoyed any of it since Spider-Man 2 back in the day.

You make a lot of strong points here, but I'm concerned about ant-man "being fun." I saw this one promotional clip of it and I just wrote the whole thing off:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread