I remain skeptical (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 16:45 (2514 days ago) @ electricpirate

Their discussion really sold me on the new system. I wanna rock two side arms and a shotgun and just wade in.

I liked that part of it, but I really fear the builds are going to feel really samey.

Primaries in D1 ended up all being very similar. Outside of some very long range for scouts, and some very tight range for ARs, they all basically worked in this very narrow band. They also all had this very similar kind of damage pattern in PVE, where they would all kind of wear down enemies at the same rate. The introduction of those secondaries with big damage spikes really made the whole system work well.

I'm worried about PVE combat feeling kind of mushy in the end without those big damage spikes to deliver to the large scale enemies. Now, they do mention that the "power" weapon slot is still being tweaked, but I'm worried that there will be a *lot* of builds, but not a lot daylight between any of them.

I'll approach with an open mind once it's in my hands, but I'm not thrilled about the change.

Datto also has mentioned something similar (Here), and I agree with his points and yours. PvE is my thing man! And I... Uh oh... I feel a story com'n on! Bett'a get in my rock'n cha'r! :P

One of my fondest vanilla Destiny memories is when I finally found my groove with a set of kit (which I still have in my vault). The primary A.1F19X-RYL with final round, armor piercing rounds, and firefly, was for the main bulk. It was fun because it hit hard for the time and, shoot, what more do I need to say when firefly is in the mix. Then there was the fusion rifle called Light/Beware. It was for foes who had gained my ire, and this being vanilla Destiny, it's safe to say there much reason to beware this guns light. An arc weapon, it had performance bonus, where kills had a chance to grant bonus ammo. It also had hammer forged and life support. This sucker got me out of alot of jams in vanilla Destiny, before the dark times. Before the empir-er... I mean the nerf. ;_;

Then to round things off, to help fight off the bullet sponges, there was The Swarm. A void machine gun, with spray and play, field scout, and crowd control. Also to close up the story, Why vanilla? Why not some other point in the three years? "You always remember your first", as well as - if my recollection is correct - there was the most variation during vanilla destiny (even if shotguns were a waste of a slot at that time). I don't know why I recall it that way through.

Anyway... for me these three weapons are worth legend. Each had their own style of play, their own silhouette of play - if you will, that helped keep things varied. Now that all the interesting guns are behind a "heavy" barrier, I wonder how Bungie is going to make the primary weapons interesting. Firefly only goes so far, for example.

This new system even brings exotics to question, in my ignorance. Primary exotics now have a lot more sway in my thought experiment, as they switch up the game play. You get to use only one slot anyway, so why not make the one slot more interesting.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread