I, respectfully disagree. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 21:03 (2479 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Maybe I read it wrong, but I feel like you're all interpreting that statement from Luke as his sincere opinion. I read that as dripping with Luke-brand sarcasm.

So there is a part of me that wants to dissect what I see in the the full quote which is once again below with my color edit intact.

Is there a world in which we never find out who the Exo Stranger was talking to on the phone?

Yeah, I mean, there’s a world where you never find out anything else about the Exo Stranger, and there’s a world where the Exo Stranger is the star of—

Destiny 3?

[Laughs] Yeah, there’s a world where the Exo Stranger has a cartoon or a comic book series or whatever. With Destiny, we have so many cool opportunities to tell stories in and out of the game. And we have a bunch of characters who are interesting, but the Exo Stranger is one that always makes me chuckle a little bit. Because I feel that’s one character where we actually wrapped up the arc. She gave you a sweet gun and then dissolved, presumably off to do something else. So I feel like, of all of our characters we’ve introduced and exited, we actually exited her effectively. But she always comes up. She always comes up, so there’s obviously something to that character that piques people’s curiosity.

After taking a moment to reread the full quote, I've decided I'm not going to go into the effort of parsing out what I see, since it seems to me that conversation would get to a pedantic level of "I interpret it this way". Ugh. Time can be better spent then bickering over verbiage.

For me, saying "He was just being sarcastic" is no different then having a kid brother say "I WAS KIDDING". Sorry, I ain't buying it. He is A LEAD speaking about his game to the press during one of the (if not THE,) biggest video game trade shows. There is a time and place for everything.

SO now we have, YES - he was being sarcastic while selling his wares which REQUIRES believe-ability. OR! NO - He meant what he said.

Either way - Shame.

If it was a far more casual sit down, like some random podcast on any old day, and everyone is laughing and having a good time, then yes - I'd be right with ya Wu. But this? Sorry. I respectfully disagree.

I've now read the full article, and I think he was just making a back-handed compliment to the lack of story in vanilla Destiny, in that self-deprecating, sarcastic way of his. At least the stranger's interactions have some closure, finally--UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE. And to speak to squid's point, if the reappearance of the stranger is a major event in Destiny 2, I'd downplay the possibility of that in much the same way at this point. I wouldn't want to give it away. My hope is they're much more confident about the narrative now, and there are many new elements and revelations, combined with some call backs that satisfy and surprise.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread