Wonder + 1, and then some (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 21:15 (2507 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree with everything you said, and I would like to add another point.

If I'm following a story as it unfolds, and that story is full of suspense and mystery and questions begging to be answered... and then I begin to see that the storytellers don't actually intend to make good on any of those mysteries... well then I just stop caring about any new elements that get introduced along the way. I love mystery when it SERVES A STORY, but mystery just for the sake of tricking the viewer (or player) into caring long enough to introduce the NEXT mystery is the storytelling equivenalnt of click-bait headlines. This form of storytelling is hugely popular these days, and I largely blame JJ "mystery box" Abrams for it (although Linch deserves his share of the blame too). This whole idea that making the audience say "what the heck is going on" is perfectly adequate in and of itself, at that suspense never needs to go anywhere or build towards anything.

As it stands right now, Destiny 1 falls into that camp. And that's a shame. Many of us wanted answers (or at least exploration) to those questions in the expansions. But got self-contained "monster of the week" stories instead. So that makes Destiny 2 the place to pick up those larger, ongoing threads, right?

But Bungie wants Des2ny to be approachable to new players (good idea). But for that to really happen, Des2ny CAN'T continue those threads. Not in a deep or meaningful way. I made a post months back about how I wished Bungie would cut as many ties between Destiny 1 & 2 as possible. Set them in different times, featuring different characters... give Des2ny a clean slate to work from, and start all over again. Bungie clearly hasn't gone that far, but it is possible that they're doing something similar. We may never get answers to the prominent questions of D1. And while that is disappointing to a degree, I'll be ok with it as long as the pattern doesn't continue. If D2 starts a whole bunch of new threads, only to have them left dangling at the end of the game and then ignored in D3, then that will be a problem.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread