I DID have an Xbone... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 28, 2017, 23:27 (2503 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Korny, Wednesday, June 28, 2017, 23:35

...but every video I find on Youtube of the 2017 xbone dashboard shows a bunch of ads plastered over the right third of the home screen.

Yeah, despite the fanboys trying to sweep it under the rug, Microsoft has a long history of sticking ads on the dashboard.
[image]

And the Xbone was always pretty bad about this (there were articles about it from early on). I remember Verizon ads, stupid TV promos, military propaganda, and heck, early on there were video ads.

They've recently been pushing back on the ads, but last time I had an Xbone, they were still there on the main dashboard:
[image][image]
Have they changed? Possibly (though a guide as recent as five months ago gives a list of hoops that you can jump through to get rid of Xbone's ads). Sure sounds like they aren't as in-your-face about it, but those recent pics show that it's still on the first page that you see when you hit the Guide button.

On PS4, you not only have to go out of your way to find them, but as Vortech showed, they're showing you the free PS+ games, or pointing you to the weekly deals. But you never see them when you pull up the dash.

And it's funny that Deus Ex-loving Cody talks about sticking to PC gaming if ads become as annoying on PS4 as Xbone's, when one of the recent Deus Ex games had ads on the loading screens in the PC version:
[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread