Hey CheapLEY... about AC Origins... (spoilers) (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 20:52 (2293 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m glad to hear it. You’ve inspired me to jump back in, too. I played a bit last night and got back in the groove of the game, and I’m really eager to get back in again. I just did the hallucination with the big snake in Memphis and met with Aya.

I think Aya is my favourite part of the whole game. She’s a rich character, and her relationship with Bayek is very well developed over the course of the game. Without spoiling anything, I’ll just say that I found their journey over the course of the game truly touching. Tragic, yet uplifting... very bittersweet. Really well done.

I like Aya quite a bit, from the little I've seen of her. She's not content with just straight revenge killing, and instead channels her anger and grief into fighting for a righteous cause. I'm still waiting for Bayek to hopefully make that turn. I do like Bayek, too. It feels like he genuinely cares for the people of Egypt.

You're path with the game seems to echo a lot of what I've heard from around the web and with a few friends. Vinny from Giant Bomb, too, comes to mind. He tried to argue for Origins as one of the most disappointing games of 2017, just because it wasn't what he wanted from an Assasssin's Creed game. On podcasts that were recorded after their GOTY deliberations, he goes on to talk about how good it is, once he sort of met the game on its terms, rather than what he expected from Assassin's Creed.

I understand that name recognition is important, and I am okay with games straying from their past, but I still do wonder if calling this game Assassin's Creed really did it any favors. I lost any love I had for AC halfway through Revelations, which I never finished, so I don't particularly care, and I'd be happy to see AC move more in this direction. I just wonder how many folks might not have pushed through the stretch of the game with it feeling almost nothing like Assassin's Creed.

I wondered about that too, but by the final hour or so I think they capitalize on the AC lineage in ways that make it all worthwhile. Like, something as simple as the right music at the right moment gave me chills :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread