WOW! 4K HDR sucks! (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 09, 2018, 12:46 (2266 days ago) @ Xenos

Kind of? Sammy and I are both bothered by her TV’s HDR settings, though. It just looks like somebody bumped Color and Contrast all the way up, while simultaneously decreasing Highlights and increasing Exposure...

What TV is it? Unless a TV has really bright screen you aren't really getting HDR content as intended. 1000 nits is actually the standard for displaying ACTUAL HDR10 content, and if you have less than that typically it dims out the highlights or brightens up the dark patches to make the colors look brighter. So most people that buy an HDR TV are actually not getting a true HDR experience. It's pretty similar to back in the day when people were buying "HD" TVs that were really 720i.

It's a Sony Bravia XBR65X850E.

Cruel was telling me that my settings might need adjusting, but after playing with it for half an hour, I feel like I need a turian to calibrate the thing if it's ever going to look appealing. The HDR settings (Default, Truemotion, Game, Movie, Custom, etc.) all look bad.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread