The Bridge, and "Hero Moments" (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 13:16 (2207 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A lot of great points in this thread :)

There are plenty of great encounters throughout Destiny and Destiny 2 at this point. For me, The Bridge section of the Crota raid is still my favorite. It has complexity, without being overwhelming. Everyone has a job to do, but it's not so rigid as to prevent improvisation, or prevent recovery after a mistake.

Digging deeper, I think one of the things about that encounter that makes it so cool is that it is filled with little "Hero Moments", and there are often several of them happening at the same time. Everyone gets to take their turn at killing the sword bearer, running across the bridge, and killing the blue knight. It's a great "my turn up to the plate" moment where everyone gets their chance to take center stage. But beyond that, there are several other unique hero moments repeating in their own little dramas. The first player across the bridge plays a pivotal and stressful role. Then there's the player who takes the center plate on the far side, and needs to spend the whole encounter dodging sword knights without losing control of their plate. There's the player on the far-left plate that needs to deal with a steady stream of boomers and wizards. The final player across has some pressure on them as well, being separated from the rest of the team and with so many foes between them and the bridge.

The great thing about each of these roles is that they are all important, but some are quite clearly more challenging than others. Or at the very least, they require different skills/abilities. It adds a strategic layer to planning beyond "you 3 go right, we'll go left". The team needs to select carefully.

The brilliance of this encounter is evident in the way it can be equally thrilling to see it executed perfectly...

or saved from the brink of disaster:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread