Lawbreakers, and the Trials of the Nine conondrum. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 06, 2018, 15:57 (2183 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Funny thing is that when they aimed to make it less competitive, with update 1.4 in September, the small, hardcore playerbase that it did have hated the changes, and left, and September ended with a 72% drop in the CCU, from 662 average daily players, to 185, with every month since losing at least half of the previous month's average. Nowadays the game is lucky to hit double digits in CCU.

It's a fine line, but I feel like it shows the dangers of not just appealing to the wrong crowd, but also of being unwilling to stick to your guns when you've got something small, but special. Not everything needs to be the smash hit of the season, and that's something that too many devs and publishers lose sight of.

I can see why Bungie is finally scrambling, though. Before this update, Trials had 49,073 total players across all platforms combined:

29,617 (PS4)
15,450 (XB1)
4,006 (PC)

.. Even at its lowest in Year 3, D1 Trials never dropped below 100k. D2 is seven months old.

And who is still playing Trials? The streamers doing carries, who complain endlessly about the game while they play. So their viewers also lose interest in coming back to the game. That's what killed Lawbreakers before it even launched. Then Bosskey realized that the streamers weren't the answer, too little, too late, and they lost their playerbase.

I dunno. I feel like Bungie is spending too many resources trying to undo the years of work put into their systems than on producing new content to bring back the people who have run out of things to do, and that's entirely self-inflicted. But obviously the Bosskey approach doesn't work either...

It's confusing...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread