Lawbreakers, and the Trials of the Nine conondrum. (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 17:24 (2211 days ago) @ Korny

Regarding the impact of streamers on Lawbreakers, the big issue of them killing hype was secondary both to the publisher backing and hype building (focusing on streamers, regardless of their response as I saw a lot of positive streams with an emphasis on skill) and poorly communicating the shift from F2P, and the real nail in the coffin was leaning too heavily on Skill Based MM. The moment you left he heard in skill your queue times skyrocketed. And then you’d often either run into games out of your league or stomps.

I don’t watch Trials very hard. But I was really into Lawbreakers. I built a PC to play it, even. And it wasn’t streamers who killed it.

I do think your point about ruining what you have that is good by chasing an audience is important. While I make no claim about how it is working with Destiny right now for Bungie, I think certain aspects of the last 4 years have shown that creating enjoyable experiences will drive an audience. And hopefully more developers learn to build with an intent of cultivating their audience and not trying to chase a different demographic.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread