LotR in Space [Dreaming City Spoilers] (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, September 07, 2018, 07:50 (2055 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Friday, September 07, 2018, 08:13

*** Dreaming City Spoilers ***

I made a little joke in an earlier post about how the dreaming city feels like "Lord of the Rings in space", and how I love the aesthetic.

I had a moment last night while out on patrol. A public event started. It was the one where you need to defend some kind of generator from waves of Skorn. I'm there with two other guardians. We formed a line in front of the generator while a crowd of Skorn began moving towards us, with their flaming maces and bronze helmets gleaming through the mist, the tower looming in the distance behind them. Us Guardians all drew our bows and began firing. A constant stream of arrows whipped through the air. Skorn were dropping fast, but every time one fell, 2 more would appear behind them. The fighting got more frantic as they drew closer. Soon we were fighting hand to hand, or with shotguns. We took turns with our supers, spreading out as the Skorn began to attack from multiple directions.

Is was epic. But specifically, it was hitting so many of the iconic "Lord of the Rings" notes between the visuals, the location, the atmosphere, the metal helmets and fire and arrows flying through the air. It was still 100% "Destiny", with the occasional Sleeper beam or airborne flaming hammer fitting right in with the rest of the aesthetic. But it was cohesive and unified in a way that the rest of Destiny rarely feels.

It occurred to me that there were a few missing pieces that would help complete this picture. The first was armor. Its funny to say, but the only thing that looked out of place in this whole battle was our guardians. All 3 of us looked like we could have been from 3 different videogames, and 1 guardian in particular looked like his arms, legs, chest, and head were all from different universes (lol). But I figure we'll be finding stylized armor that fits in with the Dreaming City aesthetic soon enough.

The other thing that jumped into my brain was SWORDS. Yes, there are swords in D2. And they're better now than they were before the 2.0 update. But I'm not sure they're as strong as they could/should be. All in know for sure is that when those Skorn closed the gap and I put my bow away in favor of my shotgun, what I really wished I was holding was a broadsword or an axe or something like that. It would have perfectly completed the picture that was being painted :)

Ugh. It's going to be a long day at work today, lol. I can't wait to get back in there :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread