A competitive crucible/Luna`s Howl Quest anecdote (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 22, 2018, 09:19 (2063 days ago)

I decided that this past week would be a good time to focus on making some progress with both the Redrix Broadsword and the Luna's Howl quests. This morning, I surpassed Glory Rank 2000, meaning I've just about hit the rank requirement for Luna's Howl. I noticed something surprising over the course of the week with regards to matchmaking. This is obviously just my anecdotal experience, but I'm curious if it lines up with anyone else's experience.

Last week, I played one night of competitive with a full fireteam. We won 9 or 10 games in a row. My next session, I went solo, and after loosing my first 2 matches, I then went on another 9 game winning streak (or thereabout). I was hovering somewhere between 1100-1200 glory points by the end of that streak. I was surprised, as I'd expected solo-queuing into Competitive to be a far rougher experience. I then jumped back in with a full team, and proceeded to get crushed 6-7 games in a row. I played a couple more games solo, and won them without much trouble. Then grouped back up with a fireteam, and BAM... another loosing streak. Last night and this morning, I sunk a bunch of time into playing solo, and I was routinely going on 3-6 game winning streaks, punctuated by the occasional lose. I never lost more than 2 in a row.

The key thing that seemed so strange to me was my impression of the average skill of my opponents. It appears to me that when I went into competitive with a full fireteam, we would get thrown against highly skilled teams almost every match. I'd often finish games with my kill score in the single digits. Then I'd jump in solo and be averaging 20-30 kills per game, and winning most of those matches. The effect has been that I've found it far easier to make progress up the rank ladder while playing solo than I have while playing with a team, which is counter-intuitive to say the least.

Has anyone else run into this trend? Or is it just a bit of strange luck?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread