Its by design! (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Monday, October 22, 2018, 10:32 (2063 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by electricpirate, Monday, October 22, 2018, 10:41

Back in Warmind Bungie rolled out some changes to make matchmaking more fair to singles. Instead of seperate matchmaking pools they set it so individuals will be treated as a lower skill than pre-made groups. It was in a TWAB somewhere, but my google fu is not serving me well here :). It's been on and off a bit as they've tweaked it, but I believe it is currently active

https://twitter.com/_mantis_/status/997268311623651329?lang=en

EDIT:
Found it!

https://destiny.bungie.org/bwu/220

Derek: From reading your feedback and looking at data, it's clear that solo players are facing an uphill battle in the Crucible when they encounter well-coordinated opponents. Players in Fireteams have a substantial advantage, particularly as average skill increases. In the current Crucible, solo players at virtually all skill levels win fewer than half of their games.

We're making some under-the-hood adjustments to try to ensure that even when solo players do end up fighting against Fireteams, they'll be doing it on a more-even battlefield.

Instead of using your normal skill value when in a Fireteam, we will use a modified value that takes your Fireteam size into account. The larger your Fireteam, the larger the potential modification. We don't want to try to completely nullify the benefit of team-play, so our initial values are conservative and can (and will) be tuned as we see the system working in the wild. All of these settings can be configured on our servers without waiting for a new update, so we'll be able to make additional tweaks based on what we see.

We always encourage you to bring your friends with you into the Crucible, but we think this change will improve your experience during those times you have to fly solo. As always, we'll be keeping an eye on how well these changes are working once they're live, and look forward to hearing your thoughts!

#FTMM

(Editors note: For those like me who didn't understand this hashtag immediately, this means Fireteam Matchmaking.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread