That’s a real bummer. (Criticism)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 20, 2018, 10:44 (1925 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean that genuinely. I know I always feel bummed when something I like starts to go in directions that make me like it less. It sucks.

That said, I disagree with a lot of what you said. The milestones system and soft cap sucks and always will, I’ll give you that.

The rest, though . . .

I won’t go point by point—I don’t have the time. Maybe I’ll come back this evening. I’ll jist say that the Forsaken campaign and the Dreaming City is the best story stuff they’ve done since when’s they were still making Halo. It’s not perfect, but it was compelling. And the newest cutscene we got this week continues that thread in a really interesting way with pretty far reaching possibilities.

The music is still great. The themes on the Dreaming City are some of the best in Destiny, and a lot of the Forsaken stuff in general was great.

The investment stuff is a toss-up, and I understand it’s a bummer because it gets in the way for you. But I was just telling Claude the other night how good I think Destiny is, how I just want to stay up late every night and play it, something I haven’t felt about a video game in ages. In fact, I did stay up until 3am last night.

Last night was actually the perfect example of the strengths of Destiny. I jumped on and grabbed some Black Armory stuff. I knocked out a bunch of my Dreaming City milestones while working on a weapon frame for the new Forge. I finished both of those at the same time, jumped into the Forge for a weapon, then joined Cruel and Malagate for some Blind Well. After we visited Mara, we ran the Shattered Throne and I got my Wishender. After that we ran a few Crucible matches. They logged off and I joined up with Claude for the rest of the night while he went through the Forge quest on his third character. We ran the Forge, then switched over and played and few matches of Gambit to finish my night.

You look at all the milestones and see a list of chores. I look at it and see a list of opportunities to do fun things with my friends. That’s a hard switch to flip in your mind, I know, because I used to feel as you do, but if you can find a way to flip that switch, Destiny becomes an amazing game.

I think, fundamentally, you just don’t like the type of game Destiny is, and you’re fighting against it. When it comes down to it, Destiny is far more than the sum of its parts, and if you have the willingness (and, admittedly, the time it requires) to meet it on its teens, there’s nothing else that’s as fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread