Niobe Labs Puzzle (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 17:42 (1935 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So, I'm having mixed feelings about how this has played out.

Initially, I'm disappointed. I've never thought these sorts of puzzles (the original Sleeper Simulant, Outbreak Prime, etc) are that cool. I understand that tons of people like them, and I am glad stuff like it exists. But it always ends up feeling less cool in practice than it does on paper--a small subset of the community solves the puzzle and everyone else just follows a guide.

Again, that's all fine, I think. It's undoubtedly cool for those that participate, it's just not my thing.

I think my disappointment is one of expectations. I was expecting some cool new content to play today, and instead there's a puzzle that I have no interest in participating in (and, realistically, not much of a chance of actually contributing anything even if I wanted to).

As weird as it may sound, I'd be much more excited and into this (even though I still wouldn't participate) if Niobe Labs hadn't been an announced thing on the roadmap. If it had just dropped secretly today, waiting for someone to find it and start the puzzle, it would feel so much better. Partly that's just because I wouldn't have had the expectation of new content to play when I got off work.

And don't get me wrong--there's plenty of other stuff I can do. I'm happy to wait, but it still just feels like Bungie is on an entirely different wavelength than I am when they message new content.

I'm eager to see how this pans out, though!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread