Funny is the key (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 18:24 (1933 days ago) @ squidnh3

I want to make it clear that I'm not shitting on Bungie. I think, on its own, it could have been a neat thing to discover. I don't hate the concept, or even how it plays out. I just don't find it particularly compelling content. And while I appreciate the idea of player actions opening up new activities (like the raid and the Dreaming City), I just don't think this was a good implementation of this concept.

I know that lots of people here already have problems with the grind of playing Destiny, I still think leaning into that on a community scale could be a cool way for the players to drive stuff like that, without it feeling like it's really just one Fireteam that unlocked it for everyone.

Imagine a community quest to rebuild the old Tower. The quest would really mainly just consist of playing the content we already have, but with the explicit goal of earning materials and resources to dump into rebuilding the Tower. When the players as a whole reach some really high number of materials, it kicks of the next step in the rebuilding process (Que Korny talking Warframe Relays or something). There'd have to be some unique stuff along the way to make that truly compelling, but, to me, that's just another reason to log in and play, with the added benefit of contributing to something cool. I also think the Factions could tie into a system like that quite nicely, and I think it would do a lot towards making Destiny really an actual live game, which, to me, is more than just a game that gets updates, but is also a game that is, at least in part, driven by and reacts to the players.

For this to work, though, Bungie would really have to change their mindset, I think, which I don't see happening. And they'd have to make a version of Destiny that just serves as a platform moving forward, and not a product with a three year shelf life.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread