The Consistency of Destiny (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 08, 2019, 10:54 (1816 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t think “I’m not playing X right now” is much of a criticism of a game. Or, it shouldn’t be. Even the best games should not try and demand all of a player’ s time. Halo probably demanded too little, meaning I always wished there’d been more Halo, though a lot of that was technical. Lack of internet updates and distribution until Halo 3, really. And Destiny demands somewhat too much. The perfect game would be fun to play but would then gracefully step aside after you’ve completed the current segment of content. And then come back strong a few months later with a good batch of new content.

I don’t think many people want to play any game non-stop for months or years at a time, but a lot of games are asking that of us now. Notice, however, that the best of the best (Dad of War, Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Horizon: Zero Dawn, etc)... don’t.

Personally, once I beat a Raid I tend to swap in a different game or games in place of Destiny so I don’t burn out. I think all of us (players and developers) need the better realize that’s how things should be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread