Bungie deliberately gave Eververse Armors bad perks. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 19, 2019, 14:02 (1744 days ago) @ ManKitten

It stinks to go to the Eververse store and see an item that looks cool and then seeing that the item has bad perks on it. In fact, when we’re setting up the armor, we’d twist ourselves up in knots to make sure the Eververse armor sets didn’t have good perks. We did this because we want the best way to get sweet perks on your armor to be by playing the game, not shopping for enhanced Hand Cannon loaders at Tess. The root cause (dating all the way back to Destiny 1) is that Eververse armor has always had perks/gameplay capability as a part of the package.

That's... kind of a douche move, especially since people can pay real money to try to get those (or to buy the bundles now).

Big changes coming to Eververse in the Fall.

You're leaving out a pretty significant part of the story. The very next paragraph after your quote is:

We’re done with that. As of this September, all Eververse armor is being converted into Universal Ornaments. These Universal Ornaments can be applied to all of the Legendary armor sets we’re releasing this Fall. They override the look of your equipped gear while preserving the perks, mods, and stats of the original item.

I mean, that’s literally the “big changes” part of my post immediately after my assessment of the current system.
It’s great what it’s going to be, but it’s kind of lame how is has been for the past two years, and that should really be called out. They gamed the system to screw players over, on purpose, if you wanted to spend real money. You would have a less rewarding experience than RNG would have given you otherwise.
Of course, this has never stopped me from wearing the armor that I liked, and I couldn’t tell you what a single perk was on any one piece, but as a matter of principle, it’s been manipulative and evil.

This is pretty sweet. There are a lot of Eververse armor I've liked but I never waste my time with them because it's super obnoxious having to waste a core to get them to proper light level, and have zero usable perks. Finally, I can have a guardian that isn't the constant garbage monster wearing whatever planetary highest light armor is laying around. Don't focus on the lame (but logical) thing they did do, focus on the rad thing they are going to do!

I’m going to miss being able to drop my Light level to double digits for Comp. Dunking on sweaty OEMs at 45-190 Light is so satisfying...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread