I've been thinking about this a lot (Destiny)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, September 19, 2019, 12:56 (1680 days ago) @ Kermit

I stopped playing D2 for a while a few months ago. I came back the week that the Mars community event was going.

By this point, Bungie had already announced that at the beginning of next season, everything was being raised to 750.

It turns out this was incredibly freeing for me. I didn't need to grind all the Powerful Gear stuff to get more 750 gear in anticipation for the next season. I ended up doing tasks related to exotic quests that I had previously been ignoring in favor of quicker rewards.

I interpret the "infinite power grind" a little differently than you--as completely optional. It helps both the players that play all the time and those that can't play very much.

For the 24/7 players, they will have something to chase. It gets rid of the "I've hit 750, what's the point in even playing now?" But by the end of the next season, all of that goes away and everyone will be on a level playing field again. So there is no downside to skipping out on it.

So those two things lead to my next thought:

Bungie has also said that all future DLC/seasons are a la carte and don't require past content. But what they haven't explicitly said is, does this mean that "everything goes up to max level at the end of the season" keep happening? Personally, I think that would be FANTASTIC. For the 24/7 players, they can still rush to max out their power and they get the prestige of getting there first.

For more casual/less often players, there is no longer a long-term penalty for dropping out of the game, taking a break, whatever. You would be guaranteed to be high enough level to participate regardless of your previous time commitment.

I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread