Ah, capitalism and communism, hand in hand (Criticism)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 10, 2019, 14:18 (1621 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe Cody underplays how hard it was to give up Destiny, but I also suspect he's got many varied interests and, as happens to a lot of us when we give up something we enjoy, he realized it was easier than he thought it would be. Good for him.

I'm not unsympathetic to this. Cruel has posted here before about how Destiny was basically his only social outlet for a long time while his daughter was young. Cheaply has said something similar here.

But also realize the games are precisely designed that way in order to hook you in that exact fashion.

What you mean by exact fashion might not be interpreted as underhanded. I mean, if a game is designed to be played with friends, that isn’t a bad thing. The friendships you make or deepen while playing a game aren’t necessarily lesser than friendships fostered through other means. (There is a switch that gets flipped once you meet a person in real life, but that’s another topic for a different thread.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread