Golem (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 25, 2019, 09:23 (1606 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Perhaps it's because turning your head is causing the Golem to turn? So the speed-up/slow-down is a result of the golem turning it's body by moving it's feet? (Not that it's any better if so of course.)

That's how you turn. You move your head while holding the trigger.

Golem solves the problem of using your head to turn in a clever way. In the other VR games that use your head to turn, there's an immediate problem in that if you turn left and start moving left, you can't turn left again because your head is already as far as it can go.

Golem lets you 'reset' your head during the turn so you can look forward again after it completes. This was actually so natural I didn't even know it was happening at first, but really thinking about what it's doing I have no idea how it was programmed or how it works. It just feels totally natural. You can turn, then slowly return your head looking straight forward, and have the turn complete. It's one of those invisible systems that nobody will notice but will just feel right.

In VR anything that moves my view without my head moving makes me sick. But technically, that's what this is doing. No idea how it was accomplished, but it works.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread