Just finished it. (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, November 30, 2019, 19:18 (1609 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Here’s some rambling thoughts on Golem:

After hitting credits and reading what Cody wrote, I agree with a lot of his points. The combat is very simple, which made deaths all the more infuriating. When I failed to block an attack, I never understand what I had done wrong. I grew to hate walking through the big wooden door and down the stairs for the ump-teenth time that play-session.

I really did not like the story, especially the ending. It reminded me a lot of Halo 2’s ending, and not in a good way. I would struggle to describe anything about the plot’s antagonist. I think the actors did a serviceable job with the material they were given, but the material itself and the way it's presented to you wasn’t up to scratch.

The game itself seems a bit buggy, even after the 1.02 patch: Two separate times I had enemy golems lock-up mid-animation, unable to take damage or attack, letting me wander on past. Sometimes the battle music wouldn’t end after a fight. Sometimes shadows would render for one eye, but not the other.

This is the first VR game that’s made me feel nauseous. I managed to fix it after the first play session by utilizing 45° quick-turns.

I think the thing I like the most about Golem is the aesthetic; The golems themselves look awesome, and the environments are beautiful, even as blurry and low-res as they are on a non-pro PS4.

Golem isn’t terrible, but I was really hoping for more from this studio’s first outing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread