Sorry, but I'm still on the fence.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 18, 2013, 12:59 (4056 days ago) @ Injunfett

Which is my point I get scared hearing words like, MMO, and Social now because they seem to just be gimmicks and without solid details like I hoped we were getting on the fence I shall be!

Nothin' wrong with that. I can see pretty easily how they can do good drop in and out single player. Just use level and trueskill and whatever to not pull in someone way too good or bad. Playing with friends, yeah, that's where it gets interesting.

The only source I can think to look to is, again, Mass Effect 3. In its multiplayer you start out with a small handful of classes who themselves only have access to a fraction of their powers and passive abilities. You also don't have the inventory of guns, ammo powers, and healing items that you build up by playing. But even with all of that once you know how the game plays you can jump in to a mid or even high level match and fare well enough to help your team out. Sure, you aren't near as powerful as you will be. Yes you will likely score less points. But as long as you know what you're doing I'd rather have you at level 1 than be a man down.

Maybe Destiny will be like that. Maybe the core combat cycle will be such that someone without all the fancy powers and guns can still contribute as long as they have a handle on the game. How that works with a world that is, presumably, much bigger than ME3's 20 minuteish matches is beyond me though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread