Sorry, but I'm still on the fence.

by yakaman, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 06:36 (4082 days ago) @ Jillybean

This is why the social aspect turns me off greatly, since it's anti-social in a way, > encouraging interaction through abstraction rather than actual exchanges. You're sitting at home on a couch alone.

Ugh.

Innate predispositions for sociability within the human species survived the agricultural and industrial revolutions, it'll survive the internet revolution too.

Legitimate concern, though, in regards to participation. If I cannot commit to social aspects of a game, and the social aspects are primary to the game, then I may not be able to participate in the game. I have been around for years, but never have played an MP match with anyone. (Not that I haven't been invited!).

So although I can still play campaign in (for example) Halo 4, I have not participated in the social aspects of the game in a while. And since people in the community absolutely destroy levels and secrets at a ridiculous pace, I'm not sure how I can contribute. Hence I move to the margins.

Bungie wants to build a real connection within the community, but relationships are "expensive" to me. Will I be able to participate in a meaningful way even though I am very shy online? Will I be able to contribute even though sometimes I miss a few days?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread