How subscription services kill games (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 10:36 (1356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Look at that. This is the future if Apple Arcade and Xbox live pass become the norm. Games designed to maximize screen time rather than fun.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that there is no reason you can't have both. You make the assumption that you can't.

Every debate about pricing and microtransaction should stop here. The fact of the matter is that a single lump sum for your game is what maximizes game quality. Everything else requires compromises.

Money all at once does not equal quality. You alone should know this for someone who loves indie games. A game's quality is defined by the people making it. And who is making it is partly defined by having the money to pay them. It doesn't have to be that you have all the money up front. And it's not even that it's up front, you have to make the game and THEN you get the money.

As for the article, I would agree with you on the idea that that seems fishy. But until I hear more I'm not picking up my pitch fork.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread