Halo MP Is now Free to Play (Gaming)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, August 03, 2020, 09:14 (1334 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Also IMO 120fps is a waste of the computing power.

If you have the power, use it.

I agree, but don't waste it. Make 60fps look better instead. If it were up to me, I'd target Halo ∞ at 1080p60.

Yeah, but I'm going to guess that making more fps is way easier than just "make it look better" and to do that for a game as massive as Halo Infinite, I believe that is the idea, is even harder.

Choices, choices.

My understanding is that increasing the FPS above 30 gets exponentially more difficult. Developers need to account for the inherent lag time baked right into the hardware (while insanely quick, it does take time for a signal to travel from your controller into the hardware, and then for the hardware to respond accordingly).

Input lag probably isn't the right thing to focus on, since, if that signal gets there after the train has already left the station, there will be another train leaving in just one frame. The game does not think of control input as essential for process so it won't slow the render waiting for it. Other more internal stuff, though it will, which is why they are spending so much time talking about storage and system buses. (And why we see solutions like interpolated frames where the processing is less dependent on the data storage systems)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread