Halo MP Is now Free to Play (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 03, 2020, 12:47 (1354 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Input lag probably isn't the right thing to focus on, since, if that signal gets there after the train has already left the station, there will be another train leaving in just one frame. The game does not think of control input as essential for process so it won't slow the render waiting for it. Other more internal stuff, though it will, which is why they are spending so much time talking about storage and system buses. (And why we see solutions like interpolated frames where the processing is less dependent on the data storage systems)

Some actual numbers.

30fps means 33.3ms per frame
60fps means 16.6ms per frame
120fps means 8.3ms per frame

The delay in wireless controllers is on the order of 4ms. Even at 120 fps this alone is not going to be an issue. The real issue seems to be how the game logic handles inputs. Factoring in Vsync, wireless delay, and display latency, you're looking at 20ms if you optimize it (put the TV in game mode).

And yet modern games have much higher latency than this, with these elements factored out. Between 4 and 8 frames in general. That's 64-128ms at 60fps.

The delay would appear to be in the game logic itself. I have always wondered why it is so high. There should be a 1 frame maximum no? The worst case scenario would be receiving input right as a frame is beginning to be rendered. Which would mean the next frame could get the input. And yet, it takes many frames.

Anyone know the reason?

I don’t know the answer to your question, but just to be clear the lag I was referring to is a separate issue from the external lag sources that you’re talking about. I was referring to the processor headroom that the engine requires between frames, above and beyond any external issues. I don’t have the technical knowledge to discuss it properly... I’ll see if I can find the article I read about it (I believe it was an old interview with Ed Boon)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread