I’m still impressed. I like this expansion a lot. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 21:59 (1412 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ll get the negative out of the way first.

Sunsetting still sucks. If they’re going to do it, they need to at least figure out how to make it make any sort of sense. Half of the gear that isn’t currently sunset is unobtainable because it was in the old seasons this year. The Moon and Dreaming City feel really shitty because everything you can get there is locked at 1060. Raising the level of the entire game to 1050 also proves the lie of “you can still use your weapons, just not in end game content.” I guess literally anything expect Patrols are end game content now. The base strike playlist is well above the 1060 cap. They honestly might as well have actually deleted the old guns for all the use they have now.

I’m coming around on Stasis in Crucible. I still think it needs some adjustments, but I’m getting used to it, and starting to learn how to play around it. It still undeniably changes Crucible, and I’m not sure for the better, but I don’t actually hate it. The biggest problem for me is how strong the freezing stuff is. I actually think the Warlock melee is fine, is the grenades that are annoying. Getting frozen around corners from AoE stuff just sucks. Still, with some adjustments, I think there’s room for it.

Now, onto the good:

Stasis in PvE rules! I fucking love it. It’s so satisfying.

Europa rules! It’s gorgeous, and I’ve really Fallen in love with it. It’s right up there with the Dreaming City. I genuinely enjoy how the post campaign is using the area. It’s very reminiscent of the way they utilized the Dreaming City. I will say that the DC stuff is better because all of the post campaign stuff felt new. The unique Ascendent Challenges, the rotating weekly missions. Maybe we’ll get more unique stuff next week. There were a few good missions post-campaign, but there’s also a lot of bounties and the stuff you pick up from
both Variks and the Stranger that make you just redo old stuff. I don’t even hate it, I think it’s mostly smart reuse of activities, and I like the destination enough to not really be bothered. I think it’s the most coherent a Destination has ever felt in terms of area, quests, and activities all feeling like they make sense together. I also love the Lost Sectors. It’s the best they’ve been utilized yet.

While I hate the way Ghost was written, I really like the way the story is being handled. They’re actually putting the lore and story in the game in the way I’ve always wanted. Ghost talking about the Lost Sectors, the stuff that eventually happens in them with the Stranger quests. Hell, even hearing the transmissions on the radio at base camp.

Now, for some light spoilers:

The stuff with the Stranger is great. All the story she gives after the campaign while we unlock the aspects and fragments. The small touch of meeting her at the end of the Lost Sectors goes a long way towards making it seem like other characters are actually doing stuff. And her meeting with Ana! It’s was great. Even being able to chat with The Drifter and Eris at camp, and Zavala showing up during the campaign was a nice touch.

The new lore books are fascinating too. Hopefully Raga will weigh in at some point. There was also a huge revelation data-mined of a book that’s not available yet: Banshee is Clovis Bray! Wild stuff!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread