V1 Interactive is shutting down. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 19, 2021, 11:29 (1131 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t think live service games can be blamed all that much. They might be a factor, in that time is limited for everyone, and you can only play so many games.

I think that live service games only hurt other live service games. They inevitably demand a greater time investment than traditional games. To me, it makes sense you'd be able to set aside 15 hours for a more traditional single player experience in the midst of a live game, where you simply would not be able to set aside time for TWO live games while you're in the grind (if you've maxed out, your schedule just got a lot more free).

The continued success of single player story driven experiences I think demonstrates that they aren't hurt that much by live games. If the Disintegration campaign were solid, I don't think any live service game would have prevented it from selling.

New live games come and go as you mention, but think of how many have come and failed due to the gravity of existing ones holding onto players.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread