Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 03:37 (674 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If your gear from last season is just as effective this season, then it means the new activities aren't different enough to provide a novel experience yeah? They should just design the new stuff to have a diverse set of challenges, for which your old gear is not optimal.

Disagree completely. I would argue Bungie is doing more than most to keep things fresh and try to put new mechanics in front of the players every season. Not only with the seasonal story/activities, but with seasonal mods. They are addressing this very thing, with the seasonal artifact unlocks and that short climb each time. To boot, how would you suggest anyone go about designing for future seasons by the thwarting the previous season’s gear every time?

The key to motivating people to get new gear should be that the new activities are easiest with the new gear because they require a different approach than last season. And, as a bonus you get cool new stuff to play.

I suppose in theory I could agree with you here; but should feels strong. Can you think of any examples of a game/studio where that’s been successful at doing this? I think what you’re suggesting is way harder in execution than you realize.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread