What the hell? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 24, 2022, 21:06 (642 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie used the filing to puff up free to play lol:

23. And this isn’t just gratifying for Bungie, though seeing the community’s love for its game is certainly that. Destiny’s base game is free to play, as is character levelling – gamers can play Destiny 2 without purchasing anything at all unless they want to.

24. Instead, Bungie’s income stream from the Destiny 2 game is entirely based on additional content gamers choose to buy: downloadable content including expansions (additional campaigns and storylines), in-game currency (“Silver,” which players can purchase for real money and use in the Destiny 2 world to “purchase” cosmetic items for their characters), seasonal content, and other in-game features and additions.

25. Thus, unlike a more typical model in which companies earn income by retailing individual copies or downloads of games, Bungie generates revenue from Destiny 2 if and only if its players find the game experience so compelling and enjoyable that they want to buy additional content.

Is that seriously how Bungie sees Destiny? That's the most disengeneous horseshit I think I've ever seen. Destiny is "free" in the same way weed was "free" when I got to hang out and smoke a joint at my dealer's house in college when I was buying a half.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread