Bungie is just a soulless corporation like the rest of them. (Destiny)

by Coaxkez, Saturday, June 25, 2022, 09:07 (642 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If there’s only one illusion of mine that has been broken by the on-and-off controversy and negativity surrounding Bungie over the past decade, it’s the illusion that any company is capable of being “different”. They’re all soulless profit-driven entities without exception. A company cannot effectively “stand for” anything beyond its own self-interest. Companies behave the way they do because they must be competitive within the confines of the system, which requires them to play ball with the worst of the worst. Bungie is no better than anyone else in that regard, including a behemoth like Microsoft. They just don’t have as much power or as many opportunities to take advantage of people.

None of which is to say that Bungie is an “evil” company or that there are not good people with good intentions working there. I know better than that. I am not some kind of crusader. “Soulless” simply means exactly what it says on the tin. Amoral. Self-interested. Psychopathic. It was unrealistic to believe that Bungie was ever above that sort of thing, or indeed that any company could ever be above it in our perverse economic system.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread