Games as art. (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 15:18 (589 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Spoken like a true editor. I mostly agree with you, even though I liked 1917 and thought it worked. It’s no Russian Ark, though. There’s one real take. And boy did it work for me. I thought it was sublime, but it’s not for everyone.

I found Russian Ark to be crazy overstimulating. Beautiful movie, holy crap can't beat the location, but man... it's, alot. A few cuts might have been nice, to at least let my eyes breath.

I'm not sure that overstimulating is the word I would use, but I think I get your drift. You're right, there is a lot. But that's because there is a lot to cover, and the pace is languid. The camera lingers. It avoids the pitfalls associated with real time, because time isn't linear here--it's a canvas to explore. Dang it. You can't write it about without sounding pretentious. I might call the last fifteen minutes overstimulating on an emotional level--at least for me. It would be a disservice to try and describe it with words.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread