Mostly non-spoilery thoughts on the new Dungeon. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 09, 2022, 22:59 (501 days ago) @ Korny

I'm not 100% sure what Bungie's thought process must have been when working this dungeon, as it feels like thematically, they gave up with the shtick (Wild West) after the first great section (That tumbleweed!), then realized that they didn't actually have as much time or budget as they wanted, and then they rushed the rest of it out. This feels very evident by the sole mechanic found throughout the entire run.

That said, I'm not exactly sure that's a bad thing, necessarily. I ran the dungeon three times today, First as a blind duo with F000CH (which took us just over three hours), then we ran as a group of three (which took us a bit over two, and then I ran it with two blind people who were significantly underleveled (Under two hours), and... I felt like I enjoyed it more each time, rather than it feeling as tedious as the limited mechanics would naturally lead one to feel on quickly repeated runs.
It's not a bad thing to have an "easier" dungeon than Duality was, especially on a season that feels Dead on Arrival, so I'm kind of eager to get back into it and start figuring out the best build going in.

Some notes:

-The collectables feel like an afterthought, especially with how little they tie into the Dungeon. At least Duality's helped us get into Calus's inner thoughts on different aspects of his reign. Eramis is by far the least interesting antagonist in Destiny, and the more they try to give her dialogue, the shallower she seems. It's weird. I wish she had been a well-written tragic villain, as opposed to the always-complaining, miserable misanthrope. Ah well. At least there are only a small batch of easily-findable (save for that first one, lol) ones to collect.

-Tex Mechanica weapons are all interesting additions to the sandbox, but I haven't found one that I would add permanently to my loadout yet. Maybe when I get F000CH's roll on that sidearm...

-Some lead designer at Bungie really hates hammer Titans. It felt so good to run a Warlock again (especially as our vastly Superior jump really shines in this Dungeon), and I'm terrified of running this Dungeon with a hammer. Far, far too many places to launch it into the sunset (Shane! Come baaack!).

-Man, DIM is kind of essential to enjoy Destiny now, isn't it? I was grinding my teeth without it today...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread