Mostly non-spoilery thoughts on the new Dungeon. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 11, 2022, 15:16 (495 days ago) @ Korny

I'll admit to being slightly disappointed by the first run through. Don't get me wrong, it was still tons of fun, and I really love the Warmind aesthetic, so there's lots to enjoy there. However, the new dungeon is more straight-forward and linear than perhaps any of the previous ones.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. While initially amazing and sort of cool to explore and feel lost, I now hate the opening of Shattered Throne. I still don't know exactly which symbols go where, so it's always ten minutes of running in circles until I eventually find all the areas I need.

We've traded a bit of the initial wow factor for a more seamless and enjoyable long-term experience. After multiple runs, I think I'm okay with that. The new dungeon has grown on me every time I've done it (as opposed to Duality which was immediately my favorite ever thing in Destiny). I don't think I'll love the new one as much as Duality, but it's still something I'll likely never turn down the opportunity to run through. It is fun, and I really enjoy the gimmick. It was fun to figure out, straight-forward to execute, but still just that little extra thing to manage that can turn encounters from good to great. I also really enjoy the process of actually learning where all the nodes are instead of having to strictly follow the lines. Slowly memorizing the route is something that's enjoyable within Destiny in an odd way.

Unlike many others I've seen online, I also actually liked seeing the reused boss. That was an interesting boss when we first encountered it, and it works just as well a second time.

I remain a bit disappointed that dungeon gear does not really follow the theme of the dungeon. Granted, everything else this season already hits the Warmind theme hard (and it's all great), so I'm not sure what the solution is there. It just feels weird to get what feels like random gear from a dungeon.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread