A step back with TLOU II Casting (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 11, 2024, 10:52 (106 days ago)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/kaitlyn-dever-last-of-us-season-2-abby-1235782912/

Kaitlyn Dever has been cast as Abby in Last of Us Part II.

Now, the game was absolutely terrible in its contempt for the feminine, but Abby being muscular and non conventionally feminine was not the cause of that. I had no problem per se with her appearance; my issue was the aggregate subjugation, negative judgement, and punishing of femininity present overall in the world.

In a way, I feel like the casting is a step back. I guess HBO is too nervous to have a straight masculine female lead. It's interesting that HBO would not go for this when they are generally okay with pushing boundaries. The idiotic gamergate reaction to Abby's appearance illustrates just how much we need to get past our collective unease about masculine straight women with sexual agency in our narratives.

I have to say, this was an opportunity for something culturally valuable, and I can't help but feel like they didn't take it and played it safe.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread