Avatar

The value of the "We messed up" tour (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 28, 2026, 14:31 (1 hours, 17 minutes ago) @ squidnh3
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, September 28, 2026, 14:35

What I believe actually happened is that they absolutely thought Marathon would be a breakout hit and purposefully poured the amount of money into it that they did. The reason they thought it would be a breakout hit - hubris and group think. They are Bungie, and even though I, a Bungie employee, am skeptical about the prospects of this game, everyone else seems positive, so I will stay positive too.

That's obviously true. But it's also obviously true that if Marathon had been made inexpensively (as a secondary project) and sold how it did, they would not have to change course since it'd have been profitable.

I'm always sort of weary of devs trying to 'give players what they want' because sometimes I don't know I want something because it doesn't exist yet, and because playing to a larger audience generally means less of a laser focus on great things that might not be marketable to a big audience.


Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread