Beta duration is unacceptably brief for a pre-order perk (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Monday, July 07, 2014, 14:07 (3587 days ago) @ kapowaz

I don't get the short duration either. One weekend during the summer? That's pretty terrible timing. I'll have a chance to play for maybe a few hours on the night of the 24th.

I just can't really comprehend the marketing campaign for this game. I was really excited about the concept and setting, but then the months dragged on and we learned nothing. Bungie told us to get excited, and we did, and then it kind of dropped off because there wasn't really much to sustain it. Then there were some big reveals, which still didn't tell us much about the game. Then there was an alpha, which people seemed to generally enjoy but wasn't that exciting to watch. "You have to play it to really get it." Sure, that seems reasonable. Now I'm barely even going to get to do that.

I just wanted to try it on 360 before making any console decision. I bought two consoles really only for Halo - I don't even play other games. The first time I ever played Halo it sold me, and I figured Destiny would probably be the same given it's creators. Maybe that will still happen. But I'm a lot more skeptical now. I don't feel cheated or anything - I can just cancel my preorder after the beta. It's just that it sure seems like Bungie keeps whiffing on this "selling the game" stuff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread