PC vs. console (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 04:56 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

Those games have in-game text chat you can write in with keyboards, no? Much easier to police and tune than voice chat. Less invasive.

From this and kidtsunami's replies I'm not sure if you may be misunderstanding the nature of the recruitment process in PC-based MMOs; whilst you can (and people still do) spam the trade channel for recruitment in WoW, there's also a dedicated interface for guild recruitment (and corporation recruitment) in both games. I'm sure it'd be feasible to do something similar in Destiny. Just off the top of my head — if you're flagged as a clan officer then people who aren't in a clan could have an option to request a voice conversation to talk about recruitment with that you. You could also place a clan banner in The Tower whilst stood in one place to indicate that you're looking for recruits. There are all sorts of ways you can advertise that don't involve text-based chat or leaving the game.

I'm confident that those channels are going to be the companion app and bungie.net. I can't think of a way someone could recruit in game without being annoying outside of fireteaming up over the corpse of a spider tank.

People putting up clan banners could get out of hand right quick.

Requesting voice conversation? Just fireteam up while exploring.

I wonder if people will start to use combinations of emotes to begin to indicate intentions (i.e. A Wave Point Point means "I'd like to recruit you")

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread