I'm curious (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 08:20 (3572 days ago) @ someotherguy

As a total novice to all things MMO-like, I'm not sure I fully understand the whole clam thing.

I've always figured they act as an additional friends list for like-minded folks that you can opt into, rather than having to invite everyone individually. Which is why I've signed up with Clan DBO.

But with talk of recruiting and explaining benefits to potential hires, I feel like Im missing something important? Can anyone help me out and tell me what I'm missing?

For now with Destiny it's not clear what benefits we'll get from being in a clan, but I have to expect they've got some features lined up for later. If we look at how other games handle clans/guilds/corporations, there are some no-brainers; having a dedicated social group for doing group-based activities (be that PvP matches, Strikes or the larger, as-yet unseen Raids). There are also often benefits to being in a clan that go beyond these, such as clan-only rewards, bonuses and quests/missions. I'm sure that's the kind of thing that we'll get in the future.

One thing that's worth remembering with a lot of the features of Destiny is that this is a game series that potentially will last at least a decade, and will see a lot of iteration, but the important thing is to lay the foundations for that iteration. Clans are one thing that even if to begin with doesn't offer much, they can always do more with in future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread