Thoughts From Someone Who Wasn't That Excited (Destiny)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 13:28 (3570 days ago) @ Jillybean

Also I want the option to make glimmer dancing on tables. What can I say, I've played as an asari for so long now.

Word.

How long was I playing before I started grinding for equipment? Barely hours. I don't have the confidence to say that this is because the beta doesn't have enough to do, because the beta has a huge area with plenty to explore and lots of story missions . . . which brings me to . . .

I actually liked this. Having a kickass sniper rifle that's only for Level 7 Guardians and being two levels below that gave me some real incentive to do as much as I could to the best of my abilities. In the end, the journey was pretty fun and the sniper rifle itself became a cool little bonus that I had actually forgot about.

Story missions are too short on story and too short on time. Now I had dozens of stories in my head about my warlock, she was a lot of fun, the interactions she has with people is fun, but this isn't enough to build a narrative on. I just need more than that.

I agree. They seem a lot more like a bunch of short explore missions tied together with a narrative that comes in every so often. The gameplay itself is great, yeah, but the story is nothing yet to sink your teeth into, sadly.

The Crucible is painful. I read up on the threads here to see what I was doing wrong and I definitely improved somewhat, but that just means I wasn't finishing last on the board. I was still a handicap for my team and I was still having no fun whatsoever. In one memorable match (Shores of Time) a player camped two of the control points (B & C) with a sniper and no one could disrupt him for long enough to maintain a hold on either. I was swearing. A lot. Crucible is not for me, and there wasn't enough in the rest of the Beta to hold my attention - something that I'm not convinced will change, thanks to the story problems mentioned above.

Unless I'm camping from far away with a sniper rifle, I will undoubtedly get murdered whenever I dare to walk into a close quarters fight when I'm not supercharged or have a grenade. Seems like no matter what I do, regardless if I got the jump on someone or not, they will always down me in a second with equal firepower and protection. It's like getting matched with a bunch of long-time players the first time you play a game but you've actually been playing for the same amount of time. Crucible really isn't all that fun in these tight environments unless you're winning.

This one's a little unfair but . . . throughout Destiny I felt like somebody had tried to expand upon Mass Effect 3's multiplayer - and that's very admirable, because that's undoubtedly the most fun I've had in a multiplayer environment. But Mass Effect has a sweeping storyline behind it which makes every fight important. Destiny just doesn't have that.

Crucible seems tied to the universe in the respect that your Ghost can resurrect you and that these are matches, not unlike Halo 4's War Games, that serve train Guardians. The fact that you can die horrible deaths over and over again with no consequence would of course ruin any thought that a multiplayer match in the context of a narrative was of any importance.

And another unfair point - that soundtrack is stunning. I don't understand what happened there.

I know, right? What a bunch of jerks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread