Thoughts From Someone Who Wasn't That Excited (Destiny)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 13:39 (3570 days ago) @ Jillybean

Well first I have to say I am a terrible multiplayer . . . player. It's just not for me.

I find the Crucible to be very dependent on knowledge of the maps - its unforgiving. When player comes across player, the player who sees their opponent first will win. This is great when you see someone first, because one shot and a punch and they're down, but people continually knew the maps better than I did - like the sniper who knew exactly where to stand on Shores of Time to cover two control spots. His team figured out what he was doing and defended his position as much as the remaining control spot. Deeply, deeply frustrating.

The playstyle I cultivated (glass cannon) on the campaign did not transfer well to MP - this again is probably as much my problem as a bad player as the game's, but I couldn't get close enough to people to damage them, and I couldn't withstand their attacks long enough to escape.

Overall, I felt like Crucible was not designed for the casual player at all - I won't say it was designed to frustrate the casual player, but I'm not welcome there.

You might be a terrible multiplayer... player, as am I, but that is not entirely our own fault. Casual players and newcomers to multiplayer should always have every chance possible to feel familiar with these spaces and the competitive atmosphere within a short period. It needs to allow for accessibility all while providing a challenge for them to overcome and better their ability as a competitor no matter what their style is, be it casual, hardcore, or otherwise.

The Crucible's ruined urban map on earth (pardon me, I forgot its name) was the epitome of a new player being fucked over from the very beginning. Here are so many spaces and little spots for an enemy player to ruin your day and control a point with some distance with these beastly, one-hit kill weapons. Seems like whatever control point you're trying to hold is subject to the enemy team having the higher ground or better position. I played quite a bit of the Crucible in the past week with plenty of varied people and I know that they fell victim to this just as much as myself. It doesn't seem like a problem with player skill, necessarily, but with balance and the ease at which players can find themselves accustomed to the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread