I'm fine with an offline map (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Monday, July 28, 2014, 11:21 (3569 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I just don't want to be consulting a map (or have the option) while I play.

And if you can't see why having the option for something can be problematic I disagree with you at basic level.

Things being optional can be problematic if they're foisting what ought to be a design decision onto the end user to make for themselves (see: Linux on the desktop) rather than being opinionated about what's the right way to do something. But I don't think that applies here.

Different people have differing levels of spatial awareness and ability to navigate in a virtual 3D space. Every time I try to get my fiancée to play any 3D-based video game she gets lost; she just can't get her head around it, and I'm sure she's not the only one. Myself however, I'm usually pretty able to memorise places from a single visit and (assuming they're not identikit, copy and pasted terrain) navigate with ease.

What I'm talking about here is a player aid that players who have no interest in using it aren't penalised for not using; if you're happy using nav markers you're fine, but if you need something else (or are just curious to see a spatial overview of the world) then you have that option.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread