Big maps need to be smaller or have more players (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 20:46 (3562 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Teams of six on Crucible are more than fine for small and medium sized maps, but on a large map like First Light on the Moon, I found it to be a pretty desolate environment without the constant presence of other players on screen. At any one time, it seems like everyone was inside a building holding a control point or camping trying to find that one key vantage point to snipe or ambush from.

Perhaps this is just because we were playing an objective game like Control, but I'm kinda worried that this is going to remain much the same for Destiny's other gametypes come September. On the other hand, maybe it's just the maps themselves that are too big. For Control on First Light, and other gametypes too, I'd imagine, there are many empty spaces that I know were never used to fight in or even walk through. That includes not only the tunnels and wide open spaces on the side, but many of the inner, built-up structures like the dome.

The mobility provided by each person possessing a Sparrow and having access to Interceptors and Pikes allows for the map to make you feel less isolated, yeah, but I don't think you should have to rely on that to substantiate the large space.

I think two or three more players per team would be a wonderful addition to these large maps. When you could potentially have two players using and chilling on Interceptors and/or Pikes, that leaves only a small handful of Guardians to be on foot in the thick of it and typically in the exact same place to maximize the team's effectiveness. Maybe a few more players could open up some previously unutilized spaces and shift the balance of combat around the map more often than not.

I disagree. It wasn't thirty seconds at any control point that I'd have to face down an enemy. Usually it was even less than that. Were there moments that someone wasn't shooting at me? Sure. But given how lethal everyone is in Destiny that's a very good thing. The more people you add the great chance you have of just getting pinned down and killed over and over. A little moment of space here and there is good as it allows you to mount an attack or set up a defense without dying every few seconds. Given that everybody can potentially have a sniper rifle I think it's a very very good thing that I'm not constantly staring down the barrel of a gun.

I think the smaller maps, especially something like the Twilight Gap, will pretty easily fulfill that wish to be constantly engaged, but I was quite happy with the pace of enemy contact with the four we got to play.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread