Post-Beta thoughts: how Destiny can reach its full potential (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 09:16 (3562 days ago) @ RC

Isn't that exactly what happened in 2004, though? When Bungie released Halo 2 with proximity voice and open team chat and "created a monster."

In my experience, the majority of people don't even use voice chat (for whatever reason). The next biggest proportion of people were in party or private chat and couldn't hear you anyway. A large group had obnoxious interference or feedback from their TV sets, or I could hear everything going on in their house - earning an instant mute. Many were chatting with their friends or otherwise not engaged with the game. Then there were the trolls and assholes.

But wasn't this almost exclusively in competitive multiplayer (i.e. PvP) gameplay? I'm curious whether the same would happen in a social environment. Also, with the Halo series often you'd find people playing multiplayer with another friend (split-screen) and so they could be talking to that person; that's something simply won't happen in Destiny given the lack of split-screen multiplayer. If they're talking over voice to a friend, that friend is just like you — somebody else in another place, who can't see what they see.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread