Post-Beta thoughts: how Destiny can reach its full potential (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 21:04 (3561 days ago) @ kapowaz

Heck no. The reason the Tower is a tolerable and relatively peaceful place is that the game's built-in emotes are the only communication possible with non party members. What those people are actually thinking as they point, dance, bow and jump around is best left unheard.

Have you played any other MMOs? There's so much more richness and fun that can arise in shared (non-combat) social spaces like cities than just emotes. Give people the tools and they'll surprise you.

Not much. Eve Online for a few months.

That said, Destiny really isn't an RPG, it's a shooter. It has a different fanbase that are looking for different things.

I'd sort of like it if Bungie went all in and made an RPG, but it's clear Destiny is not that. That's fine, but it is first and foremost a shooter, which means it is very likely its audience is going to be fans of shooters, first and foremost-- what we've seen in Halo, Gears, and CoD. For me, that means that the change of having a thoughtful exchange really goes down when voice is allowed among users who don't already know each other.

That might be a sad and elitist thought, but that's been my experience so far in those games, and was NOT in Destiny-- because those options do not yet exist.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread